Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Music Mavens Part Two: David Foster




It's Grammy week, and part 2 of our series on heavy hitters in the music industry looks at David Foster. He is a composer/producer/arranger/musician who has worked with many soft rock/easy listening artists. He has worked with Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion, Madonna, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, Chicago and more. He has worked on soundtracks for such films as The Wiz, St. Elmo's Fire, Secret of My Success, Dances with Wolves, The Bodyguard and many more. He has written and/or composed music for television shows like Glee, Criminal Minds, Dancing with the Stars and others. He wrote the hit song for Chicago, "Hard to Say I'm Sorry". He wrote Neil Diamond's song "Heartlight". For Michael Jackson's breakthrough album "Thriller", Foster was a guest artist who played the synthesizer and wrote synthesizer arrangements. He played keyboards on the 1975 Lynyrd Skynyrd album "Nuthin' Fancy". He was the composer for Chicago's third album in 1971. If it involves music, this Canadian music maven has probably done it. For over 40 years, David Foster has been a pivotal force in the music industry. Foster has 3 Oscar nominations, 4 Grammy nominations, one Golden Globe win, and one Primetime Emmy win.

Here's a quote from Foster:

"Every single day I wake up, I try to do my very best. I give 100-per-cent, and absolutely 100-per-cent love what I do every day. I've been doing this for forty years. I'm obsessed with what I do, and I just love it."


Information from imdb.com and allmusic.com.

No comments: